The Lower Sioux Community is proud to offer these new elder services.
The van is also handicap accessible, which will allow room for those Elder’s requiring their wheelchair for transporting. Please call Gayle McCorkell at: 697-8016 if you would like to be transported to Jackpot Junction dining room for your meal service.
The van will be utilized first and foremost for transporting Elder’s to & from Jackpot Junction for their lunch, and for meal delivery. However, the van may be utilized for local grocery shopping trips, during non-meal service hours. For insurance liability purposes, the van may only be driven by a Lower Sioux Community staff member. The following are the dates scheduled for Grocery Store trips in March:
- Tuesday, March 1st pick up from home at 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 15th pick up from home at 2:00 p.m.
Please call Gwen at: 697-8941 and leave a message to reserve your grocery store trip.
- First come, first serve, maximum of 7 adults.
- Those who wish to reserve transportation to grocery stores must be 18 years of age or older.
- Deadline to reserve your seat must be made by 11:00 a.m. on day of grocery store trip.
Medical Alert Systems
The Lower Sioux Elder Nutrition Program is also pleased to announce a new program offering Medical Alert Systems for eligible elders. Please read the following information on eligibility requirements.
In order to be eligible to receive a life alert system under the Lower Sioux Title VI services, you must be an enrolled member of any tribe, living within the Lower Sioux IHS service area, aged 65 or older and living alone. Funding for medical alert systems are not guaranteed after the first year of service. Participants will be notified if funding allotments are adjusted due to availability of funding.
Eligibility may also include those who are aged 60 and older and meet two of the following criteria:
- Living alone, or are alone for long periods of time throughout the day
- Have a medical condition that could require immediate medical attention
- Are recovering from a major surgery, a fall, heart attack, or hip replacement.
In order to begin services, and check for eligibility please contact Lower Sioux Title VI Director, Stacy Hammer, RDN, LD at: 697-8945.